[ale] VNC

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 2 13:26:53 EST 2003

tom hawks <tomhawks801 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I was curious if anyone has used VNC very much and if
> so, is it worth using?

Yes, it's an excellent product. Extremely simple to install and use,
and you really can't beat the price. It's intentionally designed to do
only remote control; it doesn't do encryption or file transfer or
anything else. (If you want security you can tunnel VNC over SSH.
There are any number of solutions for file transfer, such as
scp and/or tunnelling SMB over SSH (if you have to deal with
Windows).)

(I'm using VNC from my XP laptop to my Slack 8 Linux box to send
this mail, in fact.)

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka