[ale] [Kind of OT] Love that SSH PK authentication!

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Apr 1 19:39:23 EST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Jonathan Glass wrote:

> Sweet!  Just got this to work last week.  Thought it was a nice
> feature.  Just now wrote a script to connect to all of my boxes, have
> each box download and install the latest sendmail from MY workstation,
> and send me the results.  9 machines in the first batch, total time,
> like 3 minutes (max).  Why didn't I think of this earlier?
>
> I'm thinking about writing a pseudo up2date
> server/package/scriptlet/thingie...
>
> 1) Download updates to web server from GT RHN mirror (rsync?)
> 2) Have script connect to each workstation and run "rpm -Fvh " on each
> file from the web server (rpm -Fvh
> http://ibb-250.ibb.gatech.edu/updates/rh8.0/sendmailxxx.rpm), using PK
> so I don't have to supply passwords.
> 3) Have script email me log of all machines updated and their update
> response.

there's a lot of scripts out there which do this sort of thing for RPMs;
some use basically the approach you're thinking of, while others do other
models to manage lots of systems. Look at any of the following, and you
might be able to avoid doing your own coding ;-):

yum <http://www.linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/>
autorpm <http://www.autorpm.org/>
autoupdate <http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/>
rpm-update <http://www.kleemann.org/rpm-update/>
current <http://www.biology.duke.edu/computer/unix/current/>

I've never used rpm-update, but the others are all good

later,
chris