[ale] OT: White flag drops and the fight continues

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Apr 1 19:16:22 EST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Bob Toxen wrote:

> Ok, how DO I configure X on my Slackware 8.1 system?  I don't know
> the card's specs and don't have the manual for the used IBM monitor
> (19", I think)?  (I do have recent Mandrake CDs around but no disk
> space to do a temporary Mandrake install to steal its X config file.)

Easiest way, particularly if you don't plan to use X all the time, is to

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-fb /etc/X11/XF86Config

Edit the config to suit your tastes (res,depth,etc) and go for it. This
works on 99% of the systems I've tried, including a really crusty old IBM
Thinkpad 560 that I use for router configs. There's some documentation
regarding specifics on the slack site, but I've never had to do more than
the above to get it working. On the one system it didn't work on, I didn't
really need X anyway, so I didn't bother trying to fix it.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security