[ale] .NET

Eric Anderson eric.anderson at cordata.net
Thu Oct 31 20:28:00 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 13:33, Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} wrote:
> All .NET languages are supposed to expose only those constructs that are
> 'supported' under the Common Language Specification to be considered a "CLS
> compliant language".  This, however, only means that one may not expose
> non-CLS complient interfaces, methods, or other constructs publically.  A
> language may do whatever it pleases behind the scenes.  A good example is
> provided in this article:
>
> http://archive.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/bmarticles/sd/dotnet.html
>
> Eiffel supports multiple inheritance, while the CLS does not.  Interesting
> read, I think.

I skimmed the article and it was interesting, but I am still a bit
confused about something. If I create a set of class in a language that
supports multiple inheritance (C++, Eiffel, Perl) and use multiple
inheritance, then according to what you said (and my skimming of the
article) I would not be able to have interoperability to another
language (i.e. have C# code make calls to my classes) since I would have
to run that code "unmanaged".

So basically I can program so that my code conforms to the Virtual
Object System model of what an object looks like OR run my code as
unmanaged and therefore loose the advantages of running under .NET since
my code is no longer accessible by other languages. Can my "unmanaged"
code call "managed" code (possibly written in another language)?

Excuse my ignorance, but I have not read up on .NET as much as I would
like to.

--
Eric Anderson

---