[ale] OT, but not as OT as recent stuff (JAVA)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Oct 31 14:55:09 EST 2002

Okay Java gurus, I've come to the conclusion Java was designed to drive
you insane whenever you need to convert types.  I'm trying to take two
java.lang.Objects which are a series of numbers subtract one from the
other and store the result in a long value.  I've tried:

(long)theObject
(Long)theObject
Long.parseLong(theObject)

I'm exhausted....