[ale] A use for Windows . . .

ahuitzot at mindspring.com ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 31 12:18:52 EST 2002

(again, with the minspring webmail appologies)

See below for comments.

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:54:18 -0500 Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at mindspring.com>
wrote:

> I have no idea how to get manufacturers to
> produce Linux drivers
> for their computer devices.  But if they can
> write drivers for Mac OS-X,
> then I suspect writing a driver for a current
> Linux kernel is not much
> more difficult -- perhaps less so.

Its not a matter of dificulty, its a matter of openness.  For a driver to
really work well in linux, you need the source to be available, so it can be
fixed/changed/whatever when a new kernel comes out (for example).  Most
vendors do not want to release driver source because it contains "IP" that
could possibly allow their competitors to copy their hardware design.  I
personally think this is a horribly stupid excuse, but its the one they use
more often then not...   And I have dealt with closed source drivers in Linux,
and I tell you they are worse then having no driver at all.

> Suggestion:  For those thinking about getting a
> digital camera:  Try
> to find one that tells the OS it is a "USB Mass
> Storage Device."
> That, at least, Linux can find and read.

Very, very good suggestion :).  The same goes for Firewire video devices, make
sure they adhere to the Firewire video standard (whatever that is) and they
will more then likely work perfectly with linux.

> Sean

Mike

---