[ale] A use for Windows . . .

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 31 11:54:18 EST 2002

On Thursday 31 October 2002 11:27 am, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> For the record, I don't like Windows for all of the reasons you don't
> like it - I like exhausting lots of energy and being completely
> ineffective less.

As a former commercial photographer, I can second almost all of
Drew's complaints about Linux.  The overwhelming disconnect
between Linux and the desktop is the lack of drivers -- especially
USB drivers for new widgets.
If I need to use my scanner, I give up and reboot into Windows as the
Linux software either doesn't work at all, or only sorta works --
and my scanner is an older SCSI version, not one of the newer USB
devices.  I really need to get a high-end film scanner, which will
connect with either  FireWire or USB 2.0.  If I can get it to work
with Linux, I am certain it will only sorta work -- many of the
critical features will not be available. So I remain stuck with Win2k.

I have no idea how to get manufacturers to produce Linux drivers
for their computer devices.  But if they can write drivers for Mac OS-X,
then I suspect writing a driver for a current Linux kernel is not much
more difficult -- perhaps less so.

Suggestion:  For those thinking about getting a digital camera:  Try
to find one that tells the OS it is a "USB Mass Storage Device."
That, at least, Linux can find and read.

Sean

---