[ale] Transition to OpenOffice / Dumb salespeople rant!!! OT

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Oct 30 16:41:06 EST 2002

tools->options->Load/Save->General. Select "Auto Save every" set it for
5 minutes and uncheck "Prompt to save".

There are only a few places where OO is less than satisfactory. Search
and replace using regular expressions just doesn't work right now. It
was a licensing issue going Open Source.

Accessing ODBC databases is seriously sweet!. So with that, an office
can literally create data entry screens for inputting customer (or
whatever) data into a PostgreSQL database and have a series of pretty
forms to do it with. Plus you can generate auto reports. And....  :)

If it is set up to use the M$ .doc and .xls stuff by default, the only
nasty is it warns about "saving in other formats may cause data loss".
That tends to really upset people. A bit of training on how to save as
for sending to others will avoid that.