[ale] Transition to OpenOffice / Dumb salespeople rant!!! OT

Keith Morris graphicsguy at attbi.com
Wed Oct 30 15:03:22 EST 2002

sorry, I just had to drop a quick note to blow off some steam.  I have
been pushing to move our company as open source as possible and have
been fairly successful.  Finally I convinced the boss to "beta test"
OpenOffice on some of our sales peoples machines (I have already
successfully moved all of the production machines to OO). So yesterday
one of our project managers installed OO on his and a sales persons
machine.  I hadn't even gotten a chance to go setup their options for them.

Well, I get a call earlier from one of the sales people saying... "I was
working on a document with 'that open office' that you have been
tracking...I had been working on it for about 2 hours...went to
lunch...came back and made some more changes then selected some text and
it crashed...it said it would try to recover the document, but it failed
and I lost everything.  So I'm dumping that thing and going back to Word
because I can't afford for that to happen."

To this I asked if he was saving the document all along and he said "No,
   I probably should have been, but I'm still dumping it."

Every day I feel more and more like "Fred" from the CDW
commercials..."Hey Fred, I fixed my laptop but it still doesn't work"

Thanks for the vent.

Keith Morris
Creative Director
Design / Effects