[ale] k7s5a mb drama continues

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Oct 29 10:58:00 EST 2002

John Wells wrote:
>>50C doesn't seem to be that high to me either.
>

> Geoffrey, remember that the temps your board reports are relative to the
> thermistor type and location.  50c on your board could be actually 80c on
> the die surface.

Understood, it's just hard for me to believe that there is a 40C (70F)
degree temperature difference between the die and the sensor that sits
right under it.  The sensor is in fact sitting in a broiler oven, with
the die as the heating unit.

> Ecs probably knows best.

Agreed.

> I still say get rid of that board ;-P.

Well, the jury's still out.  I can hardly fault the board if the stock
mdk kernel was causing the problems.  After all, that kernel is designed
for a 586 processor.  Red Hat may have worked better as it's a lower
common denominator (i386).

Unfortunate that is though, since it'd be difficult to ask the average
user to install mdk on an Athlon and then build a new kernel.

Anyone else running a stock mdk kernel on an Athlon (xp preferably).
I'd be curious to see if others DON'T have this problem.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---