[ale] running perl script

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sun Oct 27 23:50:06 EST 2002

Elanchezian,

If you're running on unix, it's easy.

On the first line of your script, put a "#!" and the path to your perl
executable.  If your perl executable is at /usr/bin/perl, this would look
like:

#!/usr/bin/perl

Then, you can run the script (after making it executable with "chmod 755
script" or equivalent) like:

./myscriptname.pl

This can work on Windows as well, with a bit more configuration. Can't
help you there.  Check out http://www.perlmonks.org for that sort of info.

John

Elanchezhian Sivanandam said:
> hi,
>        i have replaced a shell script by a perl script.
>        Now instead of running the shell script my team mates have to run
>
> the perl script.
>
>        so, my team mates have to remember whenever they run it that they
>
> have to
>        give the command like
>
>        "perl perl.pl argument[1] argument[2] argument[3]" instead of the
>
>        "shell_script argument[1] argument[2] argument[3]"
>
>        I want to make this transition easy and smooth.......
>        so i want to name the perl script same as the shell script and
> execute the command the same way as the shell_script.
>
>        i mean i don't want to give "perl perlscript.pl "every time
> rather the old way....
>        any suggestions?????
>
>        thanks for ur reply.
>
> --
> cheers../elan
>
> visit www.tamil.net for tamil fonts
>

> ---
> This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list. See
>  sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---