[ale] showmount and mount do nothing....

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Oct 26 20:16:48 EDT 2002

Hmm...I'm starting to think this is a firewall issue.  The box I'm trying
to mount is on my DMZ (don't ask), and after running showmount I can see a
bunch of ICMP host not reachable messages being sent from firewall to dmz
machine.

Is there a way to use ssh to create a pipe of sorts?  I'd like to have
access transparently to one specific directory on the dmz machine.

Thanks!
John

John Wells said:
> Trying to get a mounted directory going from one of my internal
> machines.  Started nfsd and portmap on the remote machine, and ran
> showmount -e thatmachine.  showmount just hangs.  Running a dump shows
> my client machine continually sending out "V2 GETPORT Call XID
> 0x30f26604 dup XID 0x30f26604", but nothing at all back.  It finally
> times out with:
> mount clntudp_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
>
> Is there something else I need to start up here?  Am I missing some
> permission settings somewhere?  hosts.allow has wide open permissions
> for the client.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

> ---
> This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list. See
> http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml for more info. Problems should be
>  sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---