[ale] linux commercial

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Thu Oct 24 18:47:02 EDT 2002

The commercial this guy is talking about is the one with the girl
sitting in a metting (or a classroom or something).  Her pager goes
off and she gets up to leave saying, "Network's down"... and he
dismisses her understandably.  Next scene:  She's jumping into a
convertible and cruising with some dude to Malibu.  He asks her, "How
long do you think this linux thing is going to work?!"

I like the basketball one too, but my favorite is when they show a
bunch of cops following the CEO as they rush into the building.  As
they're walking the CEO is saying, they took EVERYTHING; the SERVERS,
the SOFTWARE, EVERYTHING!  They push open the door to the server farm
and the IT guy is standing there eating a doughnut.  He says, "Uhh, we
moved everything on to _that_ one (pointing at an IBM s/390[i think]
sitting alone against the back wall.  The ceo looks dumbfounded, and
he says, "I sent out an email..."

It's a cool PR campaign...

-CB

JR> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

>> holy cow! i just seen linux in a commercial!! i was getting ready to sleep
>> (work gravyard) and had to boot up the comp just to say i seen linux :) im
>> so estatic, i mean i heard like during the super bowl or something there
>> was one but heck! i think the catch phrase was "ibm and linux makes
>> networks bulletproof" :) it was about the lady that got out of a meeting
>> and went to mallibu or maui something like that :-p, it was cool... ok im
>> off my commercial linux high now :-p

JR> If you think that's something, just wait 'till Oracle gets rolling. The
JR> word I'm getting is that Oracle intends to make Linux it's platform of
JR> choice by 2005.

JR> --
JR> Jonathan Rickman
JR> X Corps Security
JR> http://www.xcorps.net

JR> ---
JR> This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
JR> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---