[ale] WAN type connection

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu Oct 24 11:12:30 EDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> If I wanted to connect two buildings, that are 1/2 a mile
> apart, to the same network, What would be the best way to
> handle it?
>
> Some issues that would come into play are: possibly
> crossing a roadway, lots of rain and heat.
>
> I remember reading that network mediums have distance
> limitations but I can't remember what they were.

The way I see it, here are your choices:

1. Wireless - Pros: Cost effective, Fast, Reasonably reliable. Cons:
Feeling of anxiety over security issues, real or imagined.

2. Call the phone company and ask for either a point to point T1, or a
"dry pair" for use with DSL equipment. A third option might be LRE
equipment from Cisco over standard POTS lines, provided that both
locations are on the same CO. - Pros: Reliable, Reasonable cost for all
options. Cons: Third party is involved, Speed will not be all that great.

3. Fiber - Pros: Fast, you own it. Cons: Right of way hassles from DOT,
Cost, Cost, Cost.

4. VPN over DSL - Pros: Dirt cheap. Cons: Plenty.

Personally, I picked fiber for one connection (500 feet across a state
highway) and wireless for another (half a mile, with a National Guard
Armory in between).

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security