[ale] [OT] export inside perl

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 23 07:09:45 EDT 2002

Elanchezhian Sivanandam wrote:
> hi,
>        i did export some values inside perl (using shell command
> "export") but didn't get reflected in the shell after execution of the
> script. How to do it???

If you're expecting the exported values to be available to the shell
script calling the perl script, it won't happen.  The script calling
your perl script is the parent.  parent processes do not have access to
the child processes environment once the child process dies.  You would
have to explicitly open up a communication between the processes in
order to pass that information to the parent.

You might consider returning the values from the perl script to the
calling script.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---