[ale] Linksys WPC11 under Red Hat 8.0

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Oct 22 11:22:39 EDT 2002

I know some of you all told me at the most recent installfest that I needed
to grab the "stock" source code for the following:

- Linux 2.4 kernel
- PCMCIA Card Services
- Linux WLAN-NG driver for Prism II-based PC Cards

and that these were needed in order to make my Linksys WPC11 wireless PC
Card to work under Red Hat. I think the explanation was that I needed to
compile the PC Card drivers that came with the PCMCIA CS distro instead of
what came in the stock kernel.

However, after seeing a solution in Red Hat's Bugzilla site, I added four
lines to the /etc/pcmcia/config file, and RH 8.0 now recognizes my card!

Now the problem:

Since I don't have a WLAN at home to test with, I thought I would drive up
to Spaghetti Junction to access the WAP of ATLANTAFREENET.ORG (which is also
its ESSID). I set up my wireless card through the "neat" graphical tool to
use device eth0, get host config info through DHCP and "auto-everything" for
the wireless parameters. My card was definitely able to detect
ATLANTAFREENET.ORG, as I was able to see both that ESSID and a non-"44"
MAC address when querying "iwconfig".  I did, however, notice that the
"Link Quality" was always 0 out of something, even when the "Signal
Strength" was a decent value.

The information on www.AtlantaFreenet.org doesn't seem to mention any kind
of authentication info other than the ESSID (which is actually wrong on the
website). Is there something blatantly obvious I'm missing here?

Please help. TIA.

---