[ale] Portable MP3 player support

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Oct 19 11:49:27 EDT 2002

On Saturday 19 October 2002 10:44, Ryan wrote:
> Anyone found any decent portable MP3 players with Linux support?

My solution (for my daughter, actually) was to buy a CD player that
supported MP-3 data CD's. Even if I include the $90 cost of a CD burner,
it comes out cheaper than most any of the hard memory based units ($70
lowest price model at Circuit City).

Upsides include virtually unlimited storage, since a single CD can hold
several hours of of high quality MP-3 selections and there are no system
interface worries (at least once you know that the player needs the
Joliet file system extensions:).

Biggest downside is that it isn't going to be as useful while jogging or
doing similarly bouncy activities.  Even there, though, I have noticed
that our RIO Blue CD player is pretty smart; it only spins up the disk
when it needs to, then it offloads large blocks of the MP-3 selections to
the "anti-skip" memory and plays them from there; good power conservation
and memory use.

If your application doesn't preclude a CD based solution, we've found it
to work pretty well. My hope is that some bright manufacturer will soon
release a portable CD player that also supports OGG!

peace
aaron

> am debating an iPod, but the effort required to build in support
> irritates me. If it takes 45 minutes to integrate support into
> the kernel, each time an upgrade comes out I waste that much time
> again. Looking for something reliable that works out of the box.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions,
> Ryan

---