[ale] [OT] congress vote history

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Oct 18 13:19:30 EDT 2002

IANAML, but I believe that this is handled by what are called
"mechanical" fees.  They are royalties paid to music publishers by
record companies.  My assumption is that some money that is put into
jukeboxes eventually goes into that pipe.

Alternatively, this may be handled through ASCAP/BMI fees.  Clubs pay
flat fees to ASCAP and/or BMI to cover the playing of songs registered
to those companies.

Suggest you pop over to your nearest Waffle House and call the company
whose name and number will be on a sticker attached to the jukebox.
And, while you're there, may I recommend the Elvis Presley/JXL version
of "A Little Less Conversation"?

- Jeff