[ale] those of you reading this while within US jurisdiction should have a care....

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 17 14:27:57 EDT 2002

On Thursday 17 October 2002 01:37 pm, Irv Mullins wrote:
> > I'd be curious how the ratio of honest politicians compares to the
> > ratio of honest CEOs and CFOs...

My experience is that location is a crucial variable when it comes
to an honesty value for politicians.  I say that having worked as
a newspaper editor and reporter for many years in several states.

Throughout Virginia, for example, it would be difficult to find
a crooked politician (Richmond excepted.)  But in Maryland, the
reverse is true.  I worked in Annapolis for nearly two years and
identified >two< honest men on the public payroll. One was a black
M.D. (ob/gyn) in the General Assembly and the other was the asst.
police chief in Annapolis.   If there was another honest person
in the General Assembly or in Anne Arundel County government,
I never met that person. Maryland after all was the training
ground for Marvin Mandel and Spiro Agnew. <grin>

I suspect there are equally important variables for CEOs and CFOs,
but I have no idea what they might be. Are some industries perhaps
more honest than others?  I certainly wouldn't trust anyone in the
oil, entertainment, airline, or telecommunications industries right
now. <grin>

Sean

---