[ale] PGP/GPG Session... RFC...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Oct 15 16:04:46 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:51:55PM -0400, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 October 2002 11:29 am, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > All,

> > 	At the last ALE meeting I was asked to do a session on PGP
> > in December (moved up to December 5, IIRC)...

> > 	I have a question (request) for the group.  I need feedback
> > on what you would like.

> > 	I can do ONE of the following...

> > 	* A very general talk on Public Key Cryptography

> > 	* A general talk on PGP / GnuPG (GPG)

> > 	* A more in-depth talk on GnuPG including command line functions and
> > 		key management of recent versions.

> > 	* A PGP/GPG keysigning party.

> Although what I personally would like is a key signing party, I don't
> think it makes sense to have one without trying to educate the group,
> first.  I don't think the very general talk is necessary, but some
> amount of the general talk is needed to let folks know what we are
> talking about.

> What I would like to see is a talk introducing PGP with enough detail to
> let interested beginners get started to the extent that they can
> participate in a keysigning party a couple of months later, but it need
> not cover every aspect of PGP.  I think this could be done in 45
> minutes.

> Unfortunately, you say you can only do one of those things and I've
> asked for 2.5.  I expect that Mike is our resident expert in key
> signing, is there someone else who could give an intro to PGP?  That
> way we could get a PGP intro and a key signing.

	Let me refine my statement a bit...  I can only do one of those
in a given session.  I did not mean to imply that I would only do the one
thing for this one session and not come back for another session a few
months later.  I could be available for two sessions as appropriate.  I
could only cover one of those items in each session is all.

	I guess I should have said "I can do ONE of the following for the
December session..."

> Anyone...anyone..?

> --Michael

	Mike