[ale] Converting 5.25" floppies to other mediums....

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Oct 14 20:04:07 EDT 2002

I have several working Amiga & Commodore systems around my home
(something like 25, actually). I believe there is Amiga software
available that can read the Commodore specific disk format as well as
control the C-64 5.25" drives with just a little custom wiring to connect
it to the Amiga external flopppy port.

If I am wrong about the software and wiring hack solution (which I wll
research some tonight and get back to you), I know that there is an
"uber-hack" hardware controller solution that comes in both Amiga Zorro
and x86 ISA bus flavors.  Using commodity 3.5" and 5.25" drives with
cross platform drivers, it can read disks in a number of 3.5" and 5.25"
formats, low density and high, including Vic20, C-64, Atari, CPM, DR-DOS
and Amiga.

If you're serious about offering some token payments for the many hours
of transfer time, I will be happy to work with you on this project and/or
direct you to a reliable, affordable way to get it done. Heck, I may even
be able to add in a couple hundred old C-64 and CPM disks that you don't
have already!

Just let me know if I can help via email or phone!

peace
aaron ruscetta
404.315-0406
(evenings, wkends, est)

On Monday 14 October 2002 18:32, you wrote:
> If it's a standard 5.25 inch diskette, I think that you can use dd to
> make images that you can then later burn onto cd.  Something like
>
> user at linux $ dd  if=/dev/fdx of=nameofdisk.img
>
> Calvin...
>
> On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 17:55, John Mills wrote:
> > John -
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, John Wells wrote:
> > > I have approx. 500 5.25" Commodore 64 floppies which I'd love to
> > > get moved to 3.5" floppies or cds (so I can use them with an
> > > emulator).  Anyone know of somewhere I can pay to have this done?
> >
> > I can't say anything about Commodore formats, but I would check if
> > Sydex has anything that could read them. You might have to drop back
> > to DOS 8-) to run it, though.
> >
> > One lead would be to float the question on <comp.os.cpm> and see what
> > people say. If Commodore used an encoding not readable by a PC
> > controller you might be out of luck, but again you might be in luck.
> >
> >  - John Mills

---