[ale] Laughing myself sick!

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 13 14:20:49 EDT 2002

On Saturday 12 October 2002 04:18 pm, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Wouldn't they still have to have a search warrant issued by the US
> Gov't in order to do an "audit"???

NO!
By "clicking through" the EULA you "agree" to the unwarranted,
unannounced "audit."

If they knock on your door, you can tell them to get lost, forcing
them to initiate court action. If you're small enough, it isn't
going to be worth the hassle and bad publicity.  I'm not sure
where the probable break-even point is, but I would hazzard a guess
that it is about 50 machines. At that point the odds are that someone
has loaded unlicensed software on a client, if not on a network
drive. Once the "agents" have found a single piece of software for
which your company does _not_ have the appropriate license, you are
responsible for the total cost of the search, and any fines. Ouch!

It's enough to force IT managers to rip the floppy and CD drives from
every client machine in the building.  And don't forget to disable the
USB ports as well -- to keep illegal software from being installed
from USB Mass Storage Devices.

Linux keeps looking better and better.

Sean

---