[ale] ftp access apache server behind linksys router

Rick Huebner rick at rhuebner.com
Thu Oct 10 09:58:07 EDT 2002

If I understand you correctly, you need to be able to access Server1 behind
the Linksys router via FTP.  At the same time, it seems that you need ftp
access to ServerX to remain unhindered.  If this is right, you will have to
set the router to forward another port, other than 21, to Server1.  I'm not
sure of the specifics of the router.  So, set your FTP client to use port
8003 for instance.  Set the linksys router to forward inbound traffic on
8003 to port Server1:21.  This may not be possible with your router.  More
likely, you will have to setup the ftp server on Server1 to accept requests
on 8003 because it is probable that the linksys router will not forward from
port 8003 to port 21, but will forward from 8003 to Server1:8003.

I may have misunderstood you as it may be that you are concerned about
computers inside the linksys router trying to access the same machine inside
the firewall.  Anyway, if my response does not fit your situation, let me
know.

---
Rick Huebner
rick at rhuebner.com