[ale] Porn filters

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Mon Oct 7 10:59:03 EDT 2002

I've noticed (from personal experience) that MX.CompGen.com now blocks
incoming mail from servers that don't have matching forward and reverse
address lookups. That might block out a few legit servers (which should
probably be fixed anyway), but it will definitely take care of 80% of all
spam (pr0n/pyramids/mortgages/health aids/etc.), with the other 20% either
being easily-blocked professional spammers or easily-contacted legit
I[SP]Ps that happen to have a yet-to-be-discovered spammer . Your server
daemon could be set up to automatically send a nastygram to legit addresses
not following the forward/reverse lookup paradigm.

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:45:19AM -0400, Matthew Brown wrote:
> I have a client asking for some way to stop receiving all the porn they
> are barraged with.  They want to filter stuff not so much on the web
> side, but also on the email side.  For some reason they get a ton of
> porn mail.
>
> Beyond simply setting up email client rules and education, does anyone
> have a silver bullet?

---