[ale] lin - win apps

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu Oct 3 09:35:26 EDT 2002

Stephen -

Funny you should mention 'cygwin' - I was going to bring it up as a
possibility for your last post ('decomposing cds'). (On that note, can you
turn off the CD 'autorun' response on your MsWin setup? That ought to
allow you to look at CDs' contents without having them take over your
system.)

Cygwin includes as standard many of the applications you have met in Linux
and provides the tools you need to build many others. It's a bit slow and
sometimes fragile, there are a few quirks in the shell action, but
generally it's "much better than you might expect." For example, I built
and used cross-development versions of 'gcc' under Cygwin. I thought that
was fairly stringent and a good test of Cygwin's robustness.

If you copy Cygwin's main *.dll into your MsWin %PATH%, you can run many
Cygwin apps as though they were native MsWin apps.

Note: You can't run "native" Linux apps under Cygwin. You can rebuild
many *nix apps from sources and run them under Cygwin (as you can in
Linux).

Last time I looked it was free for personal use but carried a fee if you
included it (or its runtimes) with or in a product of yours. Naturally
this may have changed.

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> hey i dl the jigdo installer or what ever it is :-p cd maker, and found it
> had a few linux apps running under windows, i did a few searches, none
> were very productive, found the closest thing seemed to be cygwin, but its
> a pay for distro from redhat? im trying to find these executables that
> work under windoze but im trying to find other apps, any one got a clue
> where to dl other windows/linux apps?

 - John Mills

---