[ale] decomposing a cd

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Oct 2 23:24:02 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 21:59, Stephen Turner wrote:
> so i see all these iso's and such to install linux usually having half the
> distro also packed on the cd, or atleast enough for a basic install, but i
> was curious, i allways see these packages in the iso linux folder or what
> not, packages that i know has the booting os and what not in it, is there
> a way to open these in windows?

Well, you could always burn a CD-R from the ISO and then read back from
it - perhaps there's some freeware or shareware utility that will let
you do that.  Search www.tucows.com or something.  I don't think Windows
has an analog to the loopback device, but I could be wrong.

i know just by saying that im risking
> getting mugged next time i leave the house but at the moment i dont have a
> linux system but i wanted to play with bootable iso's :) sorry made a
> fresh install and havent done linux yet. in any case i appreceiate the
> help :) oh yea, is there applications that can undo tarballs

Yep - tar.

> and bunzip
> files too?

Yep - bunzip2.

like i said i wanna play with bootable cdroms for a bit :)
> thanks guys!

> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---