[ale] printer problems

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 2 21:49:56 EDT 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Geoffrey,
>
> Have you looked at the gimp-print stuff. It is a bunch of print drivers
> that are highly optimized. Many perform better than their M$
> counterparts. Epson printers are very well supported with it.

I'm using the gimp-print drivers. :(

> Also the linux printer site is a wealth of info.
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org

Yeah, I've been digging around and such, just can't find anything.

> It sounds like you have a broken postscript out put, though. Try
> printing to a file and view it with gv. If gv croaks, it won't print. It
> will probably exhibit either a "hang" or pages of garbage.

Good point, I'll give it a spin and see what gs/gv has to say.  It's
gotta be something with the driver though, cause I can print the same
files on two other printers from the same apps just fine.

> But if you spring for a new printer, get a color laser printer with
> duplex printing and native postscript level 3, 128MB RAM, a built in
> network interface and supports 11x17. :)

I hear you. :)  One thing I like about this epson is it'll handle 10"
wide envelopes.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---