[ale] RAID "inexpensive" disks?

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Wed Oct 2 07:55:22 EDT 2002

Just to add to the fray.  At the computer show a couple of weeks back I
bought a new MB with CPU (1.8 ghz) for $138.  It has 4 IDE ports and
supports raid 0 and 1.  I don't know much else about it since I don't
have the money to buy 8 drives to test it out.  8)  So hardware raid
isn't all that expensive, really.

Jim.

Stephen Turner wrote:

> uh, just an observation but :-p raid is typically used with scsi disks,
> which arent inexpensive, on the contrary, they seem to be storing less
> than ide and more expensive.... oh well on to my question, since ide is
> inexpensive, and reaching nice speeds would it be appropriet to use ide in
> a raid formation? would it be near performance of normal raid with scsi? i
> was interested in opinions from experienced guys and i dont know any
> myself except this mailing list so :), also whats your opinions on best
> performance/redundant configurations? i noticed raid 0,1 configuration
> seemed to be nice, striping and mirroring together (which is possible
> right?) running 2 raid arrays, each with 3 or so disks stripped and the
> first and second array mirrord, .... 6 disks total, one fast and redundant
> array right? im sorry for the possible ignorance in this letter, i have no
> experience with raid and im just trying to get berrings and such :) also
> just wanted to start a convo too so :) thanks for your time

> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---