[ale] booting?, & can I throw any old bulb into my backlight

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 1 22:34:12 EDT 2002

I do not think I can help with the install probs (what kind of laptop is
it?  What CPU Vid ETC?) , but for the backlight, yes the inverter
voltages can at the least be a "shocking" experience.  They are usually
several hundred volts (somewhere between 100 and 200 I think it really
depends on the bulb) and while it may not be enough current to kill you
(I would not test that ;) it surly hurts.  As for replacing it with one
of the bulbs that you would find in a case mod kit...  It may be
possible but I do not think its a good idea.  I think the CCFL tubes
used in the backlight for your LCD are color corrected (IE they are
supposed to be real white) while the ones in the case mods are not.
They may also not be the right size/voltage for your lcd case/inverter.

As for the case mod lights being different colors...  They really are,
its not a lense.  They are CCFL lights with different phosphor coatings
for the various colors.

Speaking of CCFL tubes... Does anyone know where I can get some "EL
Wire"?  I saw several people at DragonCon wearing some neat things made
of the stuff.  Its like the EL sheets you see used to backlight some dot
matrix LCD's but its in a round rope like shape instead of flat.

HTH,
Mike

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 14:02, Rafos701 at aol.com wrote:
> My name is Glenn Foster, and I have a red screen. I have been looking, both
> at sources for replacement, and into the hardware. Is the advisory I've read
> on the inverter output true, (that inverter voltage levels are dangerous,)
> and more importantly, are those nifty case lights (with lenses in many
> colors) for people wanting to avoid abstractions picky about being spliced
> and wedged into my laptop's display?
> More Linux-specific, The boot (a evaluation RH 6.1 kit from last installfest)
> gets as far as "OK, uncompressing the kernel. (maybe it says booting the
> kernel, but it's the uncompressing part which is usually heralded with,
> "...................." ) Booting with an SuSE syslinux floppy to the "boot
> installed system" gets a motionless lit cursor instead of an underscore. I
> change fstab from "label" to "/dev/hdx." I think PQMagic has been dicking
> with the drive.
>
> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---