[ale] Installing RH 7.2 on an Epox 8KHA+ - Problems

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 17 10:03:43 EST 2002

Good morning,

   I just put together a new system with an Epox 8KHA+,
AMD XP 1800+, S3 Savage 2000 64 Meg, WD 200BB,
and an old NEC MultiSync 5FGp monitor. I tried installing
RH 7.2 using the graphical mode and it always pukes.
Sometimes, I get a good error message:

Traceback (innermost last):
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda", line 477 in ?
      from splashscreen import splashScreenShow
   File "/usr/lib/anaconda/splashscreen.py", line 24 in ?
      from gtk import *
   SyntaxError: can't assign to operator (line 2318)

Othertimes, I get,

Probling for Monitor Type: Unable to Probe
X server started successfully
install exited abnormally

(X came up with that silly gray background for about
5 seconds and then drops back to the framebuffer mode).
   I used this exact same monitor (and keyboard and mouse
for that matter) to install RH 7.2 on a PIII/500, Stealth III/540,
IBM 30 Gig HD (75 GXP I think).
   Textmode for RH 7.2 also pukes, but at various points
during the install. I also tried RH 7.1 and the graphical install
dies everytime just as RH 7.2 does. Text mode in RH 7.1
gets a little farther, but will also die (but in random spots).
   Does anyone have any ideas? I've built a few systems
(about 10+) and installed RH more times than I can remember
and this is the first time I've ever had any problems. Did I
build the box badly? Do I have a short perhaps? Is there
something weird about the KT266A chipset? The Athlon?

TIA,

Jeff Layton

---