[ale] Pride

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Sat Mar 16 13:45:38 EST 2002

Congrats! I was wondering when someone was going to get around to fixing
that.

You know, back in August 2000, I was digging around some of the kernel
code (the /proc filesystem area) when I discovered that, in one of the
files, a few dozen sections seemed to be executing almost the same exact
sequence of statements. Seeing an opportunity for "code factoring", I
submitted a patch that encapsulated the statement block into a function.
After running the patch by Jeff Garzik (who I think lives in Atlanta), I
mailed it to the kernel-devel listserv. I was crushed when I checked the
kernel tarball a few weeks later and found that my patch wasn't applied.

Then, a few months ago, I did a search on my name in the Google archive for
Usenet groups. Surprise, someone applied my patch in December 2000. I've
actually had one other person contact me since then about patching a
different part of the file. And, naturally, I've gotten my share of spams
from it. :(

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 11:32:56AM -0500, Michael Golden wrote:
> 	Following the example of the "Newbie Pride" (or something similar to
> that title), I have my own pride to proclaim. ;) Just yesterday I got my
> very first patch accepted by an open source project. :) My patch to
> combine signon dialogs in gaim into one box has been rolled into the
> latest cvs. :)

---