[ale] SCSI Emulation (CD-R)

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Sun Jun 30 19:45:24 EDT 2002

My system used to recognize my CD-RW drive (an HP IDE drive).  Now it
doesn't.  I don't think this is CD-R failure, because scanbus should
just say 'no devices' (effectively), shouldn't it?

dmesg shows:
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

[root at mercury /usr/src/linux]# cdrecord  -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root.

I don't understand cdrecords error message well enough to know what file
or directory it cannot open.  Anyideas?

---