[ale] Palladium/MS: ideas for retaliation - WAY OT now!!!

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Fri Jun 28 12:26:59 EDT 2002

Hi James,

I have watched this thread with minimal interest.  But the following
does get into my nerve.

Do you know how much a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering makes compared
to a non-degreed IT personel?  I am grateful that my education from
Michigan allows me to switch rather smoothly into computer fields so
I can just keep up with my "peers".

I don't know about the American Physical Society.  But I have written
off the American Chemical Society and the American Institue of
Chemical Engineers as irrelevant.  Nobody was around when I needed a
job.  Those business school graduates may have a better chance to get
a good job.

Now watching Enron and Worldcom,  I think I have made a wrong turn.
I should have gone into financial and marketing instead of the
information technology.  Probably, I could have retired by now,
instead of still being active in a rat race. :-(

Bao

> If our education system were better, maybe we wouldn't have
> cranked out
> so many dim-witted corporate dweebs who can only think in dollars. The
> American Physical Society is nearly panicked about the education
> statistics they keep seeing. The numbers of people entering
> science and
> engineering schools from the US is down. Not just a per capita amount,
> but real people count. The brain talent is shrinking fast. Over 50% of
> the graduate school population is foreign. But the numbers of people
> entering business programs is exploding. We are, according the APS,
> riding the economic benefit tide of the explosion in science
> enrollment
> centered around WWII. But the future development will take place
> elsewhere. When the engineers all retire in this country, what are all
> the business dweebs going to sell? And to whom?

---