[ale] A Palladium FAQ (from an un-Disneyed source)

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Fri Jun 28 10:01:04 EDT 2002

On Thursday 27 June 2002 02:49 pm, Thompson Freeman wrote:
> Remember all the aggrivation that copy protection caused ten years ago and
> earlier? With this plan, aggrivation will be different, possibly worse,
> and more open to disruption by both full blown terrorists and stupid human
> falibility, plus the usual suspects like script kiddies. The Digital
> Rights severs are going to be armored like crazy, and will be cracked
> (assuming history is a guide) fairly regularly.

Note that the end result of all that agravation was the disappearance of most
ot those copy protection schemes.  Why? Because people didn't want
to buy products that used them.

I beleve the result of the 'Paladium' scheme will be a dramatic loss of
market share for Microsoft, Intel, the RIAA, etc. and a greatly increased
demand for computers, software, and 'content' manufactured overseas -
items made without the draconian copy-protection schemes.

Next we - the taxpayers - will be paying the DEA to intercept speedboats full
of 'illegal'  CPU's to protect the profits of a handfull of big US businesses.

Irv

---