[ale] schools and more, so OT it's getting ridiculous, but I can't stop just yet..

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 28 09:40:42 EDT 2002

Greg wrote:
> I have known 2 teachers extremely well. One was up until 1-2 am grading
> papers on a nightly basis and one figured out that if you don't give a lot
> of homework, then the teacher doesn't have a lot of homework, and what she
> does she can do in her "free period" at work.  One spent her summer getting
> certified & taking courses the other spent her summer beside the pool and
> doing private tutoring (for good $$) for 2 summer months, spent the 1 week
> of spring break in France and the 2 week Xmas vacation chillin' - for a
> total of 12 weeks ~ 3 months.  I have never seen a company give anyone off
> for 3 months.  The other spent her 12 weeks and her $$$ on courses.  What a
> difference.

The one that is not giving the homework, is not doing his/her job and it
will reflect in the students growth.

I don't know about other counties, but Cobb requires teachers to take
continuing educational classes.  The cost of the courses are paid for by
the school system.

> In many systems the teachers cannot be removed until they commit a felony
> and go to prison, in others a newbie teacher who did not give up $$ for the
> NEA union got bad reviews and no contract.  What a difference.

Kinda vague there.  You could say the same for most any job.

> The screech you hear is me steering this to a fact of life - in education
> just as in the private and public sector there is a wide difference between
> those that work like the devil and get little and those that skate and make
> it easy.  What a difference.

Sure, but I'm not sure I get your point.

> As it would not change anything I refrain from any other comments, though I
> would like it if, considering I have no kids, not to be taxed mightily on my
> property for money to be spent on those who do have kids, though I suppose
> if I had a large family (family > 12)  it would be a bargain ... again,
> What a difference.

Yeah, I agree to a certain extent there, although school systems benefit
us all, or that's the way it's supposed to work.

I'm quite pissed at the price I have to pay for health care insurance,
because smokers who won't quit, and other folks who won't take care of
themselves.  You and I pay for their decisions.  Then there are those of
us who are a burden on the health care system, who deal with medical
issues that, to this point, can't be associated with any particular
lacking in lifestyle or personal decisions.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---