[ale] [ISN] Microsoft to reveal Palladium source code (fwd)

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 26 14:32:55 EDT 2002

Your question is dealt with specifically in the Register article:

"How do you make Linux interface with a security chip in such a way that
untrusted applications are sandboxed without taking root away from the
machine's owner? I think the answer is, 'you can't,' and I imagine Redmond
thinks so too. And what will Palladium mean to application development? More
overhead, that's what. Certification authorities charge for their services.
Some applications in development may have to be scrapped due to the costs of
certification.

Eventually, as Palladium contagion spreads, the home Linux box will need
certified open-source apps to run DR-managed content. Here goes the GPL
again. So I've got this certified app. Fine. I've got the sources. Fine. What
happens if I decide to build my own binaries? They won't be certified. They
won't work. So what does the GPL mean to me then? It means I can build, or
modify and build, an application which will lack the digital cert which it
needs in order to run the content it was designed to run. Only the binaries
will be certified (as a moment's reflection will make obvious). This is a
nail in the GPL's coffin. Yes, I can improve the app and give away or maybe
even sell my improved version; but first I have to prove that it qualifies
for certification, and second I have to pay for the cert. And when I release
it, source and all, only the certified binary will function.

The entire concept of root will be out the window. If I build my own or
re-compile my existing kernel, my certs won't work. I won't be permitted to
log in to the Microsoft Digital Empire or any of its numerous colonies
because that little chip on my mobo is going to freak out. Perhaps even my
certified apps will fail to run. And I can no longer present my Uniform
Identifier at the digital immigration turnstiles which MS will be setting up
as I meander through cyberspace. 'Sorry, we don't know who you are; you'll
have to turn back....'"