[ale] [ISN] Microsoft to reveal Palladium source code (fwd)

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Jun 26 14:17:25 EDT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Pete Hardie wrote:

> Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Pete Hardie wrote:
> >

> >>And if it's built into the compiler, then open source will work just fine.
> >

> > There's the problem. MS controls access to the compliler and re-words the
> > user agreement to prohibit compiling source code that is GPL'ed.
>
> That kind of restriction would (I fervently hope) be struck down in an eyeblink
> - it's too restrictive, rather like Ford making it illegal to drive a Ford car
> onto a Chevy dealer's lot.

I hate to sound fearful and cynical, but in the past ten years, has MS
shown much concern for a court order? Or, and better, Sen. Disney and some
of the requirements of his bills could be greased into law. Still better,
be nice for a few years, and pull the plug after sufficient market
penetration. Since digital rights management will be through the social
system, it might be possible to suck the legal complaint right off the
judge's computer, cutting the courts out entirely.  Ok, that last might be
a little past far fetched. But if the technology penetrates through a
dominant enough portion of the computer landscape I don't see how the
individual or organization could claim control of thier own data. MS (or
who ever controls the technology, FBI??) will have the ability to overrule
any and every policy put in place.

Of course, keeping a single system of authorization secure world wide,
given the advantages of being able to break in, just isn't going to
happen.

My _personal_ suspicion is that serious system failures will occur before
there can be sufficient market penetration to be self-sustaining. Watch
for more Sen. Disney type shenanigans as a result.

YMMV, and I hope like the devil I'm just plain wrong.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net

---