[ale] Palladium/MS: ideas for retaliation

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Wed Jun 26 11:16:50 EDT 2002

This is a good time to let your anger at Microsoft's miserable attitudes
and business practices motivate you to write your government officials.
 Also, we should leverage our local influence and expertise into helping
local school systems avoid MS ensnarement before time wastes even more.

A good ALE project would be to develop a realistic plan to implement
Linux across the GA school system.  How many local ALE members are there
in total?  Do we have enough people interested in helping if we
scheduled few dates this year to develop a project to fight back against
MS invading schools here?  We would need someone used to managing large
projects, which definitely counts me out! ;-)   I am used to being a
peon, but a good hardworking peon!  I think we would need:

Management guru
Buttkicker (motivator) guru
Security expert
MS and Linux software integration guru
Networking guru
Lot's of intelligent workers in teams
A few good programmers in teams
A couple of years commitment

Anyone want to jump into discussing this?  This is not a simple project
nor a short project, but it could be very rewarding in the long term.
 Geoffrey, do you have any comments on this?  I know I talked with a
Cobb school employee, a very nice lady, who explained she was on the
team that updates the master database of all students in Cobb schools.
 This is around ~100K students sized database.  She talked about there
being firewalls in place, but that they would map drives between schools
and such.  I was cringing thinking of the license fees to run all those
NT and Win2K servers behind expensive Checkpoint firewalls.  I am sure
that we could spend the rest of our lives in ALE on a project like this.
:-)
Dow

John Wells wrote:

>It's on /., but thought I'd send it out.  I think everyone on this list
>needs to take the time to read and digest the questions presented here:
>
>http://www.theregus.com/content/4/25378.html
>

>---
>This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
>sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---