[ale] Ok more stuff for sale

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Mon Jun 24 09:41:12 EDT 2002

Thanks Chris. I bought both of these drives after the last ALE meeting.
Felt pretty illicit, pickin' up computer hardware out of a car trunk in
a parking lot.

I paid $14 for a 50-pin Centronics -> 50 pin miniature D SCSI cable at
PC Cable & Accessories, went down to Office Depot and bought a couple of
DAT tapes ($7 each or so), and plugged everything into my radio server (
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue62/shapiro.html ).  Then I girded my
loins for a 4-5 hour wrangle with drivers, hardware issues, and kernel
recompiles -- but wait! It showed up on /dev/st0 just fine! And I could
tar(1) off and onto it with no problem!  So then I tried nfs(5)ing to my
development box, figuring I was in for another huge wrangle. But after
examining the start script and fixing a minor typo in /etc/exports on
the server side, that went flawlessly also. It backed up everything on
my development box's hard drive onto one tape. It took about 4 hours,
but since it started at 1 in the morning I din't have to care. Next up
is samba mounting my wife's OS/2 box (don't ask why OS/2. Please).

So I still have the extra one if anyone else is interested in it. Seems
to work like a champ on a stock Debian Slink distro. Looks like DAT
tapes come in sizes larger than 2 gig now -- anyone know if those'll
work on this hardware?

-- CHS

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 10:30, Chris Farris wrote:

> Ok after cleaning house some more I have more stuff for the ALErs.
<<snip>>

> 2 TecMar DataVault 2000 - 4GB DDS Tape Drives - $15/ea
<<snip>>
> --
> Chris Farris				chris at room17.com
> 		In the last century over 170 million