[ale] Online Presentation Service

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jun 24 08:51:28 EDT 2002

If I recall correctly, M$ banned the use of open-source software for
remote access and control of M$ systems. This specifically excluded VNC
and Back-Orifice. As these are the ONLY credible packages that can do
anything like what M$'s Back Office can do, it was clearly in M$'s best
interest to specifically forbid the use of a competitors product.

I would count VNC as remote control software. Especially for the windows
platforms. Back Orifice, while it has some nefarious uses, is a direct
competitor to Back Office software. It provides remote access and
control of Microsoft systems. And it does so with a higher degree of
access security than M$BO. Since so many M$ systems were so insecure for
so long, Back Orifice was installed on many systems with out permission.
Thus it gained the reputation as being a black hat control tool. The
majority of it's user, however, are low-budget M$ admins who can't
afford the buy M$BO. So they use that "trojan" version. ;)

At some point, M$ will probably call OpenSSH a tool of the crackers for
its ability to allow remote access and subsequent system control.

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 23:19, Joseph A Knapka wrote:
> "James P. Kinney III" wrote:
> >
> > There is even a vnc client for the palm pilot! Using the scaling
> > abilities of the windows vnc server, a palm pilot with a modem can admin
> > a windows box. Damn amazing! No wonder Microshaft put licensing terms
> > prohibiting non-microsoft admin software in their new stuff.
>
> They *what*?!? What, exactly, does "admin software" mean, anyway?
> Is VNC "admin software"?
>
> Sheesh.
>
> -- Joe
>    "Oh, I'll wake up to any sound of engines / Every gull
>     a seeking craft. / I can't keep my eyes open / Wish I
>     had my radio..." -- Kate Bush, "And Dream of Sheep"

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

---