[ale] rated user load?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 23 10:01:56 EDT 2002

> ok a 1.3xp amd system 1-1.5 gb ddr ... what do you think the user load is?

It all depends on what you're doing. Back in the early nineties (oh so long
ago! ;-) I had set up a 486-66 with 20 MB of RAM as a terminal server based
compute server for my students at Clark Atlanta.

One time during finals week there were 27 student simulteaneously logged in
editing, compiling, and running student projects. Most were using the JOE
editor and the standard GCC compiler of the time. So with the expansive
overuse of shared memory, it ran a bit pokey, but it was responsive to
everyone using the machine.

> an ata100 hd, in case that throws any bottle necks in there. actually,
> probobly 1gb is all thats needed ya think? im just curious whats over kill
> and the user ratings of such. general purpose servers.

Again it depends on what you're doing. Only a few processes doing extremely
I/O, memory and compute intensive tasks can drag the machine to a crawl.
With lightly loaded, interactive tasks, you could get into the thousands and
not really significantly impact it.

BAJ

---