[ale] Question on bootable ISOs

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Fri Jun 21 16:50:46 EDT 2002

I'm only guessing but, I'd believe /dev/fd0 is the image..  the image being
swapped in for a: happens at the BIOS level, therefore, if the kernel uses
bios to interact with the floppy it's interacting with what the BIOS says is
the floppy (which in this case is the readonly image).  If however, the
kernel uses the actual hardware i/o address and IRQ to communicate with the
floppy controller, then your going to be talking to the floppy.

wouldn't "mount" tell you what the kernel thinks it has mounted?  Wouldn't
reading from /dev/fd0 cause the floppy light to come on?  Either of these
things should give you your answer post-haste..

-G