[ale] PGP/GPG Compatibility Issues

Jerry Z. Yu z.yu at voicecom.com
Tue Jun 18 16:16:50 EDT 2002

I believe he's talking the other way around. GPG doesn't have "idea" (as
it is patented. or it expires too? ).

The FAQ 5.4 may have the answer at http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html#q5.4
5.4) Why is PGP 5.x not able to encrypt messages with some keys?

               PGP Inc refuses to accept ElGamal keys of type 20 even for
encryption. They only support type 16 (which is
               identical at least for decryption). To be more
inter-operable, GnuPG (starting with version 0.3.3) now also uses
               type 16 for the ElGamal subkey which is created if the
default key algorithm is chosen. You may add an type 16
               ElGamal key to your public key which is easy as your key
signatures are still valid.