[ale] microcenter goodies

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jun 17 20:01:13 EDT 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Oh, yeaaaah...if you've been using a 10base-T hub and you've been
> depending on it for more than just Internet access or calling up small
> files from a file server, then, yeah, it makes a BIG difference to bring
> in a 10/100 switch.  I'm routinely pushing around multi-hundred-meg
> files and if all I had were a 10base-T hub, I'd be dyin', just sitting
> there watching that collision light...

Actually, it was a 10/100 hub, but with 4 computers and another hub with
two computers on it, things would slow down when things got busy.
Unfortunately, my wife's discovered she can print to my printer as well
as hers. :(

I had a bad experience with a switch once and just assumed the things
were bloody picky about nics and cable.  I guess it was just a shitty
switch, cause all I did with this one was power it up, swap the cables
over and everyone's talking again.

> I've got two switches here at home that are linked with a 100' crossover
> cable and the two machines we sit at the most as well as the cable-modem
> firewall are on the upstairs switch and the file server, the machine
> that I use for high-quality audio capture, and the other machines that I
> muck about with go on the downstairs switch.  This does make
> switch-to-switch latency an issue, so if I had a second 100' cable, I'd
> move the firewall and cable modem downstairs and have two long cables
> going to each of the upstairs machines, but right now, only have the one
> cable, so I'm living with it.

I've got a similar setup, although it's a bit more complex as I've set
up a dmz and I've got a separate device for my vpn connnectivity (max
headroom spelling there).  I've still got 4 hubs in the mix, so I'm
thinking of going back and picking up 3 more switches.  Let's see....
three more switches or stay married....  Maybe I'll get one more switch...

> My former employer seemed to have an aversion to proper Ethernet
> concentration; they would only buy 24- or 32-port switches from CDW and
> cascade them as needed, which really turned to crap when another guy and
> I tried to set up his IBM RS/6000 with 10GB of Linux/NFS RAID space.

My wife's school has these huge hubs, must be 24 or so ports.  They
wonder why they have problems with 30 students try and fire up the same
program that's on a server...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---