[ale] Recommendations on mirrored LVM..?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Jun 13 23:57:51 EDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Eric Webb wrote:

> I'm working towards putting together a large, cheap disk repository with a
> little redundancy.  The goal here isn't performance, but more of creating a
> big chunk'o'disk that is somewhat protected.
>
> I'm interested in running the LVM code based on experience with it under AIX.

You might also consider EVMS.  Linux LVM is modelled after HP-UX's LVM,
while Linux EVMS is conceptually more like AIX LVM (it's not actually the
same code even though it is from IBM, but it's compatible w/ AIX LVM).

>  A few questions come up though:
>
> 1.  ext3 or reiserfs?

That depends on a lot of factors (what you're using it for, how full
you're going to fill it, what error recovery ability you want)....

> 2.  How do I mirror the dang thing?  AIX supports lvcopies, which is what I'd
> like to do, but I don't believe the Linux LVM does.  The only idea I can come
> up with is to use the raidtools to create a mirrored device, and then feed
> that device to the LVM code.  Will that work?  Will it work WELL?  Doesn't
> sound as flexible to me.

You can do raid 1 on top of LVM, or you can do LVM on top of raid 1, or you
might also be able to use LVM's snapshots.  It depends on what you want the
backup for.

later,
chris

---