[ale] Formatting Win2k partiton using Linux

Sergio Chaves sergio_chavess at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 11 09:59:38 EDT 2002

Hi Alers!

A little problem here.
Have a Dell Lattitude C800 with Win2k and with RH 7.2 working perfectly.
My Win2k partition, /dev/hda1, gave-up on me. It refuses to open or save
anything! I tried the "Recovery" option, the "Update"option but nothing
worked."Norton" could not fix either.
So, I decided to make a clean install but have some doubts:
By doing some research, I found out that tools on DOS Startup - Fdisk/Format
- have the tendency to either damage or destroy (Fdisk/Format) any other
partitions on the same disk. True?
If true, can I Fdisk and Format (should I format only?) my Win. partition
only, from within Linux ? If so, how should I proceed? There are not too
much info on the web/books about this.

Thanks for any and all the help.

Sergio