[ale] Fwd: Re: [ale] Recommendations on mirrored LVM..?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sat Jun 15 11:41:36 EDT 2002

On Thursday 13 June 2002 08:23 pm, you wrote:
> Use LVM to group the partition slices into logical disks. Then just use
> the logical disks to make your raid 1 drive.
>
> As of now, there is no distribution that supports this on installation,
> yet. The RedHat professional server is slated to do this. But it is
> still in beta.
>
> It is much easier to just add a pair of hard drives as raid 1 mirrors
> and use the entire she-bang for the storage unit.
>
> LVM is great for a production box where you need to reallocate space on
> the fly for a growing filesystem (think "database").

Ahh, so you think it's better to go put LVM on the raw disks and then put
raidtools on top of that..?

Here's the question, though:  With Linux, can you make and break mirrors on
the fly?  Let's say I start with one drive now and add a second PV to the LVM
configuration.  Once I've done that, can I add a second LV to the RAID 1 that
I created earlier?  Or do I have to start from freakin' scratch?

(If the answer is Yes (start from scratch), then I wonder how the hell
these guys claim Linux is now at the enterprise level?! )

-E.