[ale] Sendmail relay problem

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Thu Jun 13 09:39:33 EDT 2002

And the open relay situation is exactly what I am trying to avoid!

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                    Chris Ricker
                    <kaboom at gatech       To:     ale at ale.org
                    .edu>                cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [ale] Sendmail relay problem
                    06/13/2002
                    09:43 AM
                    Please respond
                    to Chris
                    Ricker

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 sangell at nan.net wrote:

> That might work internally but what about from outside of that network. I
> have the mail server behind a firewall on a 192.168.0.x subnet, am port
> forwarding to the mail box and am using dynamic DNS have a registered
> domain pointing to my network. I am wanting select individuals to be able
> to connect to the server via the internet and whatever client they wish
> use.
> Won't adding the "192.168.0     RELAY"  only help me if I am at home?
Maybe
> I am missing something in the way sendmail authorizes relaying but that
> looks like it would only work on the local subnet.

If you don't know the IP addresses which you want to allow to relay (road
warrior situation), you're going to have to set up one of:

POP before SMTP
SMTP Auth
SMTP StartTLS

and allow relaying for your local subnet and for remote clients who have
authenticated themselves using one of those three.  Anything else will make
you an open relay, which will make you a source of spam, cause me to block
all emails from your server, etc.

later,
chris

---