[ale] PPPoE vs. Streight Ethernet bridged ADSL (was Pleasehelp...)

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 30 23:50:36 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 20:56, Raylynn Knight wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 18:23, Mike Panetta wrote:
> > If I may ask, what is with the intense hatred for PPPoE on this list?  I
> > currently use a Mindspring ADSL connection with PPPoE and its not that
> > bad.  Its pretty fast, I seem to get the max theoretical speed possible
> > (150K Bytes/s +), but I do have the ocasional outages (I blame this on
> > mindspring, and the cheesy DSL bridge that I use though).
> >
> My understanding is that PPPoE can eat between 7-10% of your bandwidth
> in unnecessary overhead.

In my case it seems to be eating about 20% of the theoretical max I
should get (1500kbps, I only get about 1200kbps).  So in that respect I
can see why it would be "bad".  What are the typical rates some of the
people on this list get from their providers (PPPoE or not)?

> > If they do not use PPPoE what do they use?  Is it a streight up bridge,
> > or is it DHCP or what?
> >

> A bridge or a router depending on connection and/or provider.  DHCP is
> not necessary if you have a static IP?  If your connection is supposed
> to be permanent (that's what your paying for isn't it?  And that's what
> BellSouth advertises as an advantage of ADSL) then why don't you have a
> static IP address?

I know DHCP is not necessary if you have a static IP, but in my head I
guess I was trying to figure out how they controlled the connection.
With DHCP you can deny anyone who does not have a specific MAC address
from connecting to their network, or do just the reverse and deny a
person with a specific MAC address connection if they did not pay the
bill.  How do they exercise this kind of control over the end user when
no such mechanism exists?  Do they just call up bell south and have them
physically disconnect the customer from the DSLAM?  This of course would
assume that good communication existed between the ISP and their
provider ;).  I assume that there could be other ways to police the
connection, but its deffinately easier with PPPoE or DHCP (or both) then
a streight up bridge.

> Ray

Mike

---