[ale] Lockups on older laptops

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jul 26 13:05:44 EDT 2002

The newer pcmcia stuff always includes support for the older stuff.
There may be a bug that crept in and has broken something. I was looking
at the pcmcia site a few weeks ago and noticed an update (recent) that
fixed a broken (don't remember the specific card support) card.

It may be that you have that card. Or the install process is foo-barred.
Make sure the pcmcia network card yu are using is installed during the
7.3 installation. That will force the proper modules to be loaded on
bootup.

I have had intermittent lock-ups on booting an IBM Thinkpad 600E with
RedHat 7.3. I have seen the pcmcia loading seem to be the hanging
culprit. But I have also seen the failure at a few other locations as
well.

Once the install is over, try booting with no cards in the slots.